Here is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) for each department.  If you do not see your question here, please click here to contact us.

What are the Village’s office hours?
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We do not close for lunch.

Is there a Notary at the Village Office?
Yes. Notary service is provided to Village Residents free of charge Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. There is a $3.00 fee per signature for non-residents.

How do I get in touch with a member of the Village Council or a member of another committee?
You may leave a message with the Village Office at 269-679-4304 or click here to email the Village Office.

Can I reserve the Leo J. Burch Park?
Unfortunately, we are unable to take reservations for the park.

Do I need to get a Peddler/Solicitors license when selling door-to-door?”
Yes. Applications are available at the Village Office.

Where is the drop box to pay my water bill after hours?
The drop box is located at 442 N. Grand Street outside the main entrance.

Can I put cash in the drop box?
We recommend that you pay bills with check or money order when making payment in drop box.

Can I pay my water bill with credit card or online?
Currently, we do not offer this service.

What utility companies provide service to the Village of Schoolcraft?
Consumers Energy
Lansing, MI 48737-0001

American Electric Power
P.O. Box 24407
Canton, OH 44701-4407

PO Box 11328
St. Petersburg, FL 33733-1328

2001 York Rd.
Oakbrook, IL 60523

Rural Communications
757 S US Highway 131
Three Rivers, MI 49093

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
A permit is not required however, we do ask that you remove all signs when the sale is over. Village-wide garage sales are held every year on the third Friday and Saturday in May. Followed by Spring Clean Up the following weekend.

Are all Council meetings open to the public?
Yes, Council meetings are open to the public although in some cases, a public body may meet in closed session. Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Village Hall located at 442 N. Grand Street.

Am I a Registered Voter?
The Michigan Voter Information Center is very useful in identifying if you are a registered voter.

How do I register to vote?
To register to vote you must be:

  • A U.S. citizen
  • At least 18 years of age by election day
  • A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.
  • You can register at any time but in order to be eligible for an election, registration must be completed at least 30 days prior to the election.

Where do I register to vote?
You may register to vote at the following locations:

  • Secretary of State
  • Department of Human Services
  • Department of Community Health
  • Department of Career Development
  • Military recruitment centers
  • Schoolcraft Township Office

Where do I vote?
Village of Schoolcraft residents vote in precinct #2 located in the Schoolcraft Fire Station located on the corner of Grand St. and Eliza St.

Can I vote an Absentee Ballot?
To receive an absentee ballot one of the following must be true:

  • You must be 60 years of age or older
  • Expect to be absent from the community in which you are registered for the entire time the polls are open on election day
  • Be physically unable to attend the polls without assistance from another
  • Unable to attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion.
  • Confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial
  • Appointed an election inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where you reside
  • An absentee ballot may be requested 75 days prior to an election through the Township Office. Ballots may be requested by mail up until 2 p.m. on the Saturday prior to an election. Please note, that it is rarely enough time to complete the process. Request your ballot as soon as possible.

The last day to obtain an absentee ballot at the Township Office is the Monday prior to an election by 4 p.m. The ballot must be voted in the office and returned. All ballots must be returned by 8 p.m. on Election Day to be counted.

When do I vote?
Election Consolidation Laws went into effect in 2005, establishing four potential election dates each year. Those dates are the fourth Tuesday in February and the second Tuesday after the first Monday in May, August, and November. Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I’ve misplaced my voter identification card, do I need it on Election Day?
No. Your voter identification card only serves as your reference. It lists your polling location and provides district information. You do not need your voter identification at the polls. However, you do need photo identification at the polls.

I’ll be 18 after the close of registration. I want to vote, what do I do?
Michigan allows you to register when you are 17-1/2. Be sure to register before the close of registration. As soon as you turn 18, you’ll be able to vote in any election.

Where do I get tax information?
Tax information, including Village Taxes, can be found on www.schoolcrafttownship.org, or by calling 269-649-1276.

When are police officers on duty?
If you need to reach an officer after the business hours of 8 to 5, Monday through Friday, call 679-5600. You will be connected to Kalamazoo County Dispatch. When you hear the recording start, press the number 6 and you will be connected with a live person. IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY, CALL 911.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
Police Reports can be picked up at the Police Department. There is a $5.00 fee. Police Reports are not faxed or mailed without receiving prior payment. Reports requested by mail must have a return envelope with the appropriate postage.

If I live outside the Village limits, who do I call for a police matter?
Call Kalamazoo County Sheriff at 269-383-8822.

I just got a new job that requires fingerprints. Does the Schoolcraft Police Department provide this service?
Fingerprinting is done for persons who reside in the Village of Schoolcraft for a $10.00 fee.
The Schoolcraft Police Department does not offer Live Scan Fingerprints. Call The Kalamazoo County Sheriff Department at 269-383-8822 to get locations for Live Scan fingerprinting.

Where do I get a burn permit?
Burn permits can be picked up at the Village Office, and at the South County Fire Authority in Vicksburg. They are free of charge.

Click here for a burn permit application.
Click here for burning guidelines.
Click here for the South Kalamazoo County Fire Authority website.

Is my meter broken?
A meter will slow down and stop if it is not working. Meters do not speed up.

How do I check for leaks?
Leaks unchecked can drip hundreds of gallons of water wastefully down the drain. A little detective work can catch these leaks easily. Check your toilets, faucets, outside taps and sprinkler systems.

  • Put 15 drops of food coloring in the tank of the toilet and do not flush the toilet.
  • After one (1) hour, check the bowl and if the colored water leaked through to the bowl, there is a leak in the toilet.
  • Write down the numbers on your meter at night before you go to bed.
  • Do not use any water.
  • In the morning, check the meter again. If the numbers have advanced without using any water, there is a leak in the system and a plumber should be called.


How do I read the meter?
The meter is either numbers or dials and the meter is read from left to right.

Who do I call to change the name on my water bill?
Call the Village Office at 269-679-4304.

Who do I call if I have an after hours emergency with my water service?
Call 269-679-5658 after regular working hours and on holidays. Your call will be redirected to the appropriate on-call personnel.

Who do I call for building and zoning questions?
You can call Bert Gale at Associated Government Services at 1-800-627-2801.

Why do I need a Building Permit?
The issuance of Building Permits are part of the process that monitors the safety and workmanship of construction, installation and repair work. There are several reasons why getting the permit, and having the work inspected makes good sense.

  • The proposed work and/or plan is reviewed by certified people for code compliance.
  • The actual work is inspected by certified people for code compliance.
  • The Village is assured that building setbacks and minimum requirements are met according to the Village’s Zoning Ordinance.


Where do I get applications for signs, fences, site plans, variances, etc?
You can download applications from the Forms and Permits section of the web site or you may call AGS at 1-800-627-2801 to have one mailed to you.